E3: Halo: The Master Chief Collection? Awful.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

(Update: Bungie has been removed, I guess I just assumed that they were involved because of 1 and 2. Point still stands though. Continue with hate.)

Now don’t get me wrong, when I was a wee lad of 14 I saved up for almost a year to get an Xbox (yeah the original big black clanky thing with the controller that could kill you, I’m old…) and this was mostly due to Halo. I played that game endlessly, beat it on legendary, tons of co-op games and multiplayer. Halo was arguably my favorite thing for a while, aside from other things 14 year old boys do that I don’t want to talk about. Halo 2 came out. Awesome. Spent more hours on Xbox live playing that than on my homework, and I did a TON of homework. I also didn’t sleep much. Halo 3 and 4, I played, I enjoyed, but they didn’t have that same magic to them. It was almost as if they were chasing after one of those banshees in Halo 1, you could see it, and you knew how to do it, but for whatever reason you just couldn’t get to them.

Halo, derping it up

Bitch, I’m FABULOUS

This metaphor is exactly why Halo: The Master Chief Collection is an absolute garbage idea that should have never happened. Microsoft clearly has quite a few projects going on right now, and hey, maybe Halo 5 will be badass again, it certainly looks like it has potential. That being said I don’t understand why they are taking time to remake 4 games for the Xbox One. To give them a graphic overhall? Playing Halo 1 and 2 on Xbox one is not going to serve the purpose they want. It may get people a little hyped, especially with the Halo 5 multiplayer beta in there, but ultimately it will just remind them that the story in the first 2 games about humanity’s struggle against an impossible enemy has already been played out to death, and brought back more times than Master Chief himself.

343 and Microsoft are desperately trying to milk this franchise and, to use another metaphor, the teet is drying up. Admittedly, it would be fun to get those old multiplayer maps again, and maybe relive some of that fun, but ultimately it’s just going to be a reminder that the first two games were masterpieces and Halo 3 and Halo 4 have only served as life support on a slowly dying franchise.

On top of this the game is going to be 60$. Now I get that they had to do a ton of work for it, and there is a certain fandom out there that really wants all of these in one place, but I guarantee most people will put it down after they’re over the hype. Halo 5 will roll out and everybody will switch to that. Halo is quietly becoming COD in space, and even COD is going to space. It’s time Microsoft buried the Halo series. They’re clearly running out of ideas and if they focus on a new IP, maybe, just maybe they can blow us all away again.

Now jump to the comments and let the hate flow through you.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Myspace
  • Google Buzz
  • Reddit
  • Stumnleupon
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Technorati
Author: Ben Wright View all posts by

12 Comments on "E3: Halo: The Master Chief Collection? Awful."

1. Jason Grigsby June 10, 2014 at 2:53 pm - Reply

Lol what a garbage poorly written article. First off, let me guess? It’s okay to release The Last Of Us after only being a year old, to catch up people hoping onto PS4? 343i wants to do an anniversary series for people. It’s coming out on the day Halo 2 was released 10 years ago. 343i said why not? People want 1-4 again so lets just do that instead. It’s not an awful idea, so get over it.

2. zygote June 10, 2014 at 2:53 pm - Reply

You are an idiot. Bungie has nothing to do with this. Halo 2 is getting a major overall, the rest are ports.

You claimed you did a TON of homework in school. Try doing some for your job. Not a very bright lad are you?

3. Jason Grigsby June 10, 2014 at 2:54 pm - Reply

Also when are you going to bitch about GTAV?

4. Jay June 10, 2014 at 3:41 pm - Reply

bungie hasn’t been involved with halo since around 2010 and had nothing to do with halo 4 and nothing to do with the master chief collection. you’re an ass.

this is all M$. they are trying to get a new generation of fans into the halo universe in advance of halo 5 in 2015. this may or may not mean much to longtime fans but surely many fans will love having all 4 games (with HD and multiplayer updates) available for the xbox one.

5. TheMug June 10, 2014 at 4:06 pm - Reply

You seem to have been misinformed. Bungie is not developing Halo 5: Guardians. That task is being undertaken by 343 industries, Microsoft’s own studio built for the purpose of carrying on the Halo franchise. They also had a hand in the Master Chief Collection. Bungie is focused SOLELY on Destiny. Please update the article.

6. Guest129486 June 10, 2014 at 4:10 pm - Reply

Uhhh…dude? Bungie has nothing to do with Halo anymore.

Bungie isn’t dividing up their time to work on this because they aren’t part of it. Just 343 is.

7. ShowanW June 10, 2014 at 4:24 pm - Reply

This article is so lame.

Bungie has nothing to do with Halo:MCC.
    Microsoft owns the rights to Halo. Not only do you write a lame article, but you don’t even have your facts together.

8. tyler June 10, 2014 at 5:47 pm - Reply

This is by far the stupidest article I have ever read. It is nothing but hate filled hate for nothing but hate.

How about giving the younger generation a go at Halo? Hmmmmmmm?

Plus – I’m all for Halo 2 MP being back online!!!!!

9. Randy June 10, 2014 at 6:03 pm - Reply

Not gonna hate, just want to let you know there are plenty of people out there who find this a great value when compared to all the garbage HD remakes that are out there. TLOU is almost a year old on PS3 and already has a PS4 remake coming… I understand that there are people, like yourself, who feel that a series has run its course once YOU don’t care anymore, but the reality check is that there are many more people who are probably glad to continue seeing beloved franchises continue on. I personally love to see articles like “Top ____ Franchises That Need to Die” and list Halo, Mario, Assassins Creed, CoD, God of War, etc. that many other people enjoy. Anyway, enough with the tangent hopefully you don’t get too much hate for the opinion.

10. Eagles83 June 10, 2014 at 6:47 pm - Reply

Slowly dying franchise. Halo 4 sold over 9 million copies. This is a fantastic idea for everyone and I’ll tell you why. If you are not interested in it then you don’t have to buy it………see how simple that was. For everyone else that does they get four awesome games with dedicated servers to bring back the multiplayer everyone loved from the older games as well as a graphical overhaul to the second game with reproduced cutscenes from Blur for $60. This is a great deal. Again if you are not interested then you don’t experience anything negative by them releasing it and you not buying it. Halo isn’t the most milked series out there but catches the most flack for it. I don’t like the Call of Duty series but I wouldn’t write an article about how releasing a set of those games would be a bad idea. I would think it would be a fairly obvious statement that not all games have to be for everyone.

11. Ryan Roberts June 10, 2014 at 8:21 pm - Reply

As someone who owns two gaming blogs/websites it’s quite obvious this is clickbait, encouraging angry MS fanboys to boost your views. Hey, I’ve done it in the past too so I don’t blame you. If this is really your opinion though then I suggest you should give up writing.

You’re entitled to an opinion but you are a stealth troll, I know this because when I started out I was too. You’ll soon alienate your audience and these hits will dry up once you get found out.

By the way, I assume you are working alone on this site. You really need to own all 3 of the consoles if you’re going to do this, nobody likes biased cheap shots at other consoles.

Good luck, you’re going to need it.

• Jim Girgenti June 14, 2014 at 3:34 pm - Reply

Thanks! All staff that writes on GamersBliss.com has access to every gaming platform.

Leave A Response