The real-time 4X strategy game StarDrive is getting a sequel, StarDrive 2. Again, Iceberg Interactive and Zero Sum Games have teamed up to create this new masterpiece. StarDrive 2 will be a revolutionary turn-based sequel to last year’s overwhelming success of StarDrive. This game will feature real-time combat and will be making its way to Steam and other digital channels for a downloadable and box retail in September of 2014.
Accompanying the announcement came the reveal of the price of the title. While the price is set at $29.99 for this sought after title, players who owned the original StarDrive will be rewarded with a loyalty discount. The discount for loyal players is set at 33 percent for StarDrive 2.
Daniel DiCicco, the CEO of Zero Sum Games stated, “StarDrive 2 represents the culmination of two decades of love for the 4X genre and five years of work on the StarDrive universe. Here we have taken everything we have learned — our successes, our failures, and our passion — and made a 4X game that we are incredibly proud of. We are dedicated to our community and we’re excited to start showing off StarDrive 2 to our fans.”
This popular PC title will feature giant empires and command fleets of turn-by-turn straigy. Nine alien races consume StarDrive 2’s world and gamers will research hundreds of technologies, build custom ships and partake in real-time visually stunning battles.
Some of the StarDrive 2 features include:
- Players can build a space empire turn by turn in an immersive, living galaxy filled with nine alien races, pirate factions, galactic lore and mystery.
- Gamers can hire unique heroes to govern their worlds or to command their mighty fleets in battle.
- Populate the universe and colonize planets, moons, asteroid belts, gas giants, and more!
- Gamers can research hundreds of technologies, including technologies that are unique to their race. Find even more technologies through in-game events and galactic exploration.
- Build ships in the custom ship design mode and take them into real-time battles featuring stunning visuals and sound effects.
- Enter a Battle Arena mode for quick-fix battles against cunning AI opponents. In this mode, players will earn rewards as they fight through the challenges, allowing them to unlock new weapons, ship hulls, and ship modules to upgrade their ships and to purchase new ships to add to your fleet.
- Created with the Unity engine for simultaneous release on PC, Mac and Linux.
- Will include various Steam features such as Trading Cards, Achievements and Steam Workshop, allowing modders to create and share their own in-game heroes, events, Battle Arena campaigns, ship modules, weapons, sound effects, and more.
This exciting installment to the StarDrive franchise will be impressive. We can expect to partake in steam workshops connected directly to the game and expect to hear more about the game at the upcoming Game Developers Conference in March.