NOTE:1 character per game and sidekick must either have history with or is known for following the main character.
Every hero needs their loyal sidekick who’s always there to bail the main character out of trouble. So here is my top 10 pick:
10. Luigi (Mario)-Though he’s definitely not the bravest brother in the family, he certainly does his best to help out. While he is usually in the very large shadow of Mario, he has also played his own part in saving the Mushroom Kingdom. Not to mention he’s always there for Mario. And actually, 2013 is the year of Luigi, in celebration of 30 years of the green clad plumber! So happy 2013, Luigi!
9. Epona (Zelda)-Though she doesn’t talk (unless you’re a wolf), she has been the trustee stead for Link throughout various Zelda games. Even as a child Link and Epona shared a special connection (though not at first). Epona comes at Link’s beckon call. She even puts up with the repeated whip hits from Link when she’s out of carrots, now that’s love. All in all, while picking only one companion from Zelda was hard, Epona has had a history with Link (or Links), that’s unmatched by any of the other characters.
8. Kazooie (Banjo and Kazooie)-Again a character that doesn’t talk, but she makes up for in raw spirit and loyalty. Through the biggest adventures Kazooie travels with Banjo everywhere. She even steps in occasionally to carry banjo herself. And lets face it, what would banjo be without Kazooie? A bear that can play a banjo? I guess he could have joined up with Rock Band. Anyway, it’s clear Kazooie is the best a backpack can carry!
7. Miles Prower/Tails (Sonic)- Sometimes I found myself liking tails more than sonic. I mean he can use his tail like a helicopter, pretty cool! He’s humble and kind. To sonic he’s like the flip side of a coin. And his skill with mechanics comes in handy too. Tails is also one of the few that can keep up with sonic and kudos to him for it.
6. Clank/XJ-0461 (Ratchet and Clank)-The wonderfully condescending pal to Ratchet. He offers the brains to ratchet’s uh brawn (well whatever you want to call it that ratchet had). And though he isn’t that strong, he has a lot of customization that makes him very helpful. In any case, he puts up with a lot with Ratchet, but still sticks by him.
5. Daxter (Jak and Daxter)- While many people may have just found him annoying, I thought he was fantastic. And for all of Jak’s silence in the first game, Daxter made up for it. While he didn’t always do much in action, he definitely got points for motivation. Plus his snarky and lively attitude added some fun and even brightened the mood when things got dark. While he can really be a coward, when the time comes he’s there for Jak.
4. Claptrap/CL4P-TP (Borderlands)- While there are various CL4P-TP units, I’m talking about that Fyrestone one that we see the most of in Borderlands 2. He’s another potentially annoying character for some. Yet I loved this guy. Not to mention without him I wouldn’t have had my health, shield, ammo, power, and experience displays from the ECHO device that he “totally didn’t” steal from those bodies. This little guy always fearlessly rushed into battle…ha well we know that’s not true, but he did try to help where he could. Plus he threw some great parties. I’m proud to be claptrap’s minion.
3. Victor Sullivan/Sully (Uncharted)- Not only is he Nathan Drake’s best friend, he is also like a father to him. Through the most death defying experiences, those two have stuck it out, with some witty banter in between. Drake became the man everyone knows him as because of Sully. And of course, Sully has got a killer mustache to boot!
2. Dominic Santiago/Dom (Gears of War)- **SPOILER** Dom is beyond the role of friend to Marcus Fenix, he is a virtual brother. These soldiers have fought each day just to keep humanity from going extinct. They’ve both been through terrible experiences. They bring out the best in each other. And, in the end, Dom sacrificed himself to save his comrades, ending his life as a hero.
1. Ellie (The Last of Us)- **SPOILER** In a world where zombies are killing everyone you love, it can be hard to keep an upbeat attitude. Yet somehow Ellie does it. Though Elllie and Joel don’t start off as the greatest friends in the beginning, they soon work into having a father and daughter relationship. The chemistry of these characters is astonishingly realistic. When Joel was close to death, Ellie did everything she could to save him. And when the time came to decide between creating a cure for the human race or saving Ellie, Joel chose Ellie. A choice that could only be reserved for a top sidekick pick.