Why I Haven’t Bought a PlayStation Vita Yet

ps-vita-hardware-600x300

It has been little over a year since the PlayStation Vita was released in Japan. In that one year period, A total of only 65 games have been released via retail and digital. The Vita does not even come close to competing with other major handheld systems, such as Nintendo’s DS and various smart phones. Maybe the Vita had a bad start? Future titles officially announced for release in the USA in 2013 include Ratchet & Clank QForce, Soul Sacrifice, Dead or Alive 5 Plus, Killzone: Mercenary, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, and Tearaway. How can anyone admit that the PS Vita is still alive and kicking with only 7 titles officially on the horizon, a currently unappealing library, and constantly bad show up from the Vita at every major video game event?

The Vita is not just in trouble regarding its game library. The Vita is constantly nosediving in every market around the world. The lack of sales for the Vita could make the Vita even more undesirable to 3rd party developers. Recent launches of Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified and Assassin’s Creed Liberation, show just how much developers care about the Vita. The launch of Call of Duty was supposed to be the start of the Vita’s multiplayer component, with Call of Duty being able to played anywhere you go. The exact opposite happened. The game is an embarrassment to everyone involved making it and releasing it. The launch of Assassin’s Creed on the Vita was supposed to be the start of triple-A titles coming to the Vita and making it something worth buying. What we got was a mediocre attempt at milking some cash from hardcore Assassin’s Creed fans.

If Sony doesn’t step it up and start releasing some quality titles on the Vita, the Vita will go down the same painful path the PSP went down. I hope with all my heart that it doesn’t go down down this path. I have always preferred the PSP over the Nintendo DS models. The Vita still has a ton of promise, but is suffering heavily from a lack of innovation and effort. What the Vita truly needs is for developers to step it up and make something worthwhile to purchase. If the Vita developers can do this, I hope for a long and prosperous future for the Vita and Sony.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Myspace
  • Google Buzz
  • Reddit
  • Stumnleupon
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Technorati
Author: Kasey Milinkovich View all posts by

6 Comments on "Why I Haven’t Bought a PlayStation Vita Yet"

1. mobo January 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm - Reply

The PSP never went through a painful death. It is a massive success.

2. You suck January 9, 2013 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Ur shit dude, total hack…its obvious you havent even touched the fuckin thing.

3. Jim Lahey January 9, 2013 at 2:19 pm - Reply

Well, maybe third party devs might take a look at it if people just bought it rather than writing stupid articles about the reasons why they haven’t purchased it. Not only that, but the fact that you claim to have knowledge of the games (aside from CoD) saying that they are mediocre cash-ins… AC:Liberation is actually a pretty decent game for a handheld and I doubt any other handheld could have this game perform as well as it does on Vita. Rather than ranting about how bad the Vita sales are and the overall arch of the system, you should pick one up and support it. Maybe if more people actually bought one 3rd party devs would take more interest. 4 million units sold worldwide in 1 year is terrible and it’s because of people like you who keep saying how bad it is doing. This is causing others to think the same. I bet if more articles were “The Vita is a great handheld” more people would purchase it and 3rd party devs would take notice.

4. tanto January 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm - Reply

This article is stupid, the same path as the psp? you mean the second most successful system of the gen with the biggest library?

someone doesnt own a psp either

5. Ben January 9, 2013 at 3:38 pm - Reply

I disagree with your assessment of the PSP life cycle. It was extremely successful and had quite a large library of reasonably priced games.

Did you mean the PSP Go? That model did not do so well. I wanted one initially, but refused to buy it because I could not get vouchers for all my previously purchased PSP games and some games weren’t available digitally.

6. APStorm February 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm - Reply

I disagree that Liberation was just a ‘mediocre attempt at milking some cash’. I personally found it to be a worthwhile gaming experience that didn’t feel like a handheld ‘side-story’ like Bloodlines; it felt like a main series game. Some of the Vita features enhanced the experience, like the touchscreen usage for weapon switching and overall menu navigation, while others felt like minor annoyances at worst, like the infrequent letter opening and the moderately frustrating pickpocketing mechanics… Though, at the very least, I can see the thought behind these mechanics, despite the annoyance that surfaced over time, and I will admit they do make decent use of the Vita’s interface features, for what it’s worth.

Leave A Response