As a die hard Dungeons and Dragons fan and having played all titles that included the D&D experience, I was skeptical at first when Cryptic announce that they were tackling Neverwinter, the beloved Forgotten realms setting. Cryptic has release titles such as Champions online, and Star Trek in the past to decent and mediocre reviews and have lost faith within the MMO gaming communities. Recently bought by Perfect World, Cryptic with Hasbro and Wizards of coast, are ready to prove themselves in the fantasy MMORPG genre once again.
There has been countless games that have been release in the past with D&D RPG elements and settings and some were awesome and some were not. The two installments Neverwinter nights were in my opinion, the best of best when it came to an ultimate D&D experience. With the story being wonderfully told, the gameplay mechanics true to the pen and paper tabletop roots, the graphics pretty solid and with the option of a module creation tool-set, this lead to unlimited possibilities for the players and is why I hold this franchise in such high regards. The turn based combat felt true to the D&D experience and I’m sure is one the reasons why it kept die hard fans playing well into 2012.
This new and bold version of Neverwinter setting is to be an action orientated MMO with the same RPG elements that fans have praised in the past. It will be a free-to-play MMORPG that will hopefully entice many fans out there. PVP will not be available at launch but will be integrated in the game early 2013. Here’s a list of features and a background story that Neverwinter will offer:
Set 100 years after the Spellplague, and after the volcanic eruption that destroyed the city, Neverwinter is slowly restoring its former glory. But in the deep, dark places in and under the city, evil forces are seeking ways to keep Neverwinter from that goal, by any and all means possible. Players will need to once again answer the call for heroes to help save the city!
- Neverwinter Reborn: Help bring about Neverwinter’s return to glory as you adventure through the city from top to bottom and underneath. Explore themed zones like the Tower District, Temple of the Spider, Sword Coast, and Mount Hotenow, home to the ancient dwarven city of Gauntlgrym.
- Signature D&D Races and Class Builds: Pick from classic D&D races like Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Drow, Dwarf and Tiefling, and signature class builds such as Guardian Fighter, Trickster Rogue, and Control Wizard.
- Dynamic Combat: Fluid, action-based combat with action points that enable more powerful abilities and spells.
- Dungeons and Events: Team-based, five-person instances brimming with traps, monsters and treasure, and unique zone events, dungeons and public missions.
- Build Your Fantasy: With The Foundry, Neverwinter’s robust editing tools, players will be able to create their own quests, zones, and stories within Neverwinter.
- Solo or Group Play: Neverwinter will allow players to go it alone, with AI-controlled henchmen, or with a group of other players.
Enticed yet? I sure am! After watching some gameplay footage from PAX 2012 and checking out some screen shots that were available, my opinion of Cryptic’s Neverwinter MMORPG has changed. Now that being said, it doesn’t mean Neverwinter won’t have some bugs when it comes out late 2012, as every MMO to date has but, it looks like they are heading the right direction and giving fans and casual gamers alike, a new action packed online fantasy game to enjoy.
Check out this E3 gameplay trailer link below –